Welcome to Week 1 of my Binders 101 series. This week I am tackling our “Home” binder. And, actually, this is the binder that started my brain rolling on the entire project. Since we have moved into our home, all of the paperwork for our house has been stored in a GAP box on the top shelf of our closet.
Don’t you love all the dust on the top of the box. You can tell we really opened the box a lot!
Now, you might be wondering if it is even organized.
Real organized, right?!?! And, here is the funny thing. The top document doesn’t even have anything to do with our house. I have no idea how it got in there.
When you think about “Home” you might be thinking about utilities, monthly bills, etc. But, that is going to be addressed in a different binder.
This binder is actually about the construction of our home. I have divided the binder into the following sections:
- Mortgage paperwork
- Insurance & utilities set up paperwork
- Construction information
- paint color swatches
- fixture information
For this binder, I used the 1 1/2 inch Better Binder from Staples in yellow. If I would’ve had any additional pages, I would’ve needed the 2 inch binder.
I also used the Avery Durable Write-On Plastic Dividers. I only had 3 sections, which means I have 2 more dividers I can use in the future if I decide to add additional sections.
I did not include pictures of the mortgage and utilities sections because they have personal information on them. If you would like any details about either section, please feel free to email me at email@example.com or post a question on the comments below.
The last section, details, includes all of the paint swatches, business cards, invoices, etc. for our house.
For the paint swatches, I taped the swatch to a plain piece of paper and wrote the room that the color is in.
We also had several catalogs with fixtures, doors, etc. that we used in our home. I cut out the catalog covers and pages that contained our items, then placed them in plastic sleeves. You never know when that information will be useful.
Then, to the shelf the binder went…
One lonely binder on the shelf. Each week I will post a picture of this shelf with the new binder(s) that I completed added to it.
After looking at my binder on the shelf, I decided to rotate the label. Sorry, I didn’t get a picture, but it looks a lot better now!
If you would like to have the same binder cover that I used, feel free to download a copy.