Welcome to Week 6 of my 7 week Creating an Emergency Station series. Today is all about the family essentials. Most of these items will be placed in a box that we can all use in case of an emergency, but an item or two will be placed in mommy and/or daddy’s backpack.
But, first, if you missed the first five weeks, check out the links below:
Our family essentials kit includes the following items (I have also included where I purchased each item):
- flashlights (2) – Lowe’s
- extra batteries – Wal-Mart (not pictured)
- weather radio – gift
- blankets (2) – old
- matches – Dollar Tree
- lighter – old
- candles/lantern – gift
- trashbags – Dollar Tree
- work gloves – Wal-Mart
- pocket knife – old (not pictured)
- pry bar – Wal-Mart
- bleach – Dollar General
- duct tape – Dollar General
- axe – Lowe’s (not pictured)
- shovel – Wal-Mart (it is a Coleman camping shovel)
- multitool – Wal-Mart
These items will go in one of three places, either the emergency tub that is located in the emergency cabinet in our garage, inside, or in a backpack.
- Emergency tub – Everything, but the items listed below, will be placed in this container. I will show a picture of the final product on my wrap-up post in two weeks.
- Inside – There are certain things that are not supposed to be placed in a heated environment. These items will be placed in a central location in a small tub in our home. Batteries, matches, and the lighter will be placed in this small container because we do not want to risk them getting overheated and causing a fire.
- Backpack – One flashlight will be placed in my husband’s backpack and the other will be placed in mine. We want them to be on us if something happens.
Stay tuned next week for my final Emergency Station series post… Pets. We can’t forget these important family members.
Then, I will have one last post that wraps up everything and includes a master printable and picture of our actual station and packed backpacks.