Back in April, I blogged about my top 10 newborn essentials. Well, my baby boy is 5 months old today (TEAR) and I am back with a new list of 10 essentials that have helped our lives tremendously. We still use most of the products from the first list, but we have added some others since Derrick is a little older now. I am sure I will be back when Derrick is crawling and/or walking with a new set of essentials, but for now, here are some of our favorite items…
1. Bumbo Floor Seat – We received the mint green one above when I was expecting my daughter and used it again with my son. These are awesome! Your child needs to have head control before you use the seat, though. We use it to sit Derrick in the kitchen floor while I am cooking, in the living room floor to watch his sister play and watch tv, and also just to get him used to sitting up.
2. A Jumperoo – There are many options to chose from, but we decided to get the Fisher-Price Rainforest Jumperoo. The seat swivels and there are many activities to keep my son’s attention that teach him things like hand-eye coordination. It also has music and sounds, which he loves.
3. Rhino Toys Oball – We have two different kinds of oballs; a football and a regular round ball. These are excellent because they are hollow, which makes it super easy for your little one to grasp and hold on to. My son LOVES them. And, the colors are really bold and bright, which babies love.
4. A Good Pacifier – My son has switched to the Philips Avent Orthodontic BPA-free Translucent Pacifiers. We received a set of them as a baby shower gift. When he was born, he didn’t really like them. But, now, he loves them. He refuses to use the ones that he liked as a newborn. So, we have purchased several sets of these orthodontic pacifiers.
5. Taggies Toy – I don’t know about y’all, but my son loves to chew on tags. My daughter loved it too when she was his age. These Taggies items have tons of tags all over them that your baby can chew on and examine. Derrick has the football and a blanket. They are great at calming him down when he is fussy too.
6. An Activity Gym – We have the Infantino Twist & Turn Activity Gym for our son. He loves to lay on the mat, look in the mirror, and play with the animals that are dangling from the cushioned poles. Note: Make sure you wrap it very well if you decide to store it in the attic for future use. We had a different one for our daughter that we planned on using for our son. When we got it out of the attic, a squirrel had chewed on the whole back side of it… foam and all!
7. A Good Spill-proof Learning Cup – We haven’t used a sippy cup yet, but we will purchase the Playtex BPA-free First Sipster Cup. We used these with Kate and they were awesome. They have two handles that make it easy for your baby to hold onto the cup and a tapered spout that help with your baby’s sensitive gums. Plus, my daughter dropped it all the time and it never leaked. Thumbs up for that!!!
8. Infant Spoons – We love the Munchkin Soft-Tip Infant Spoons. They are bright, colorful, and easy to clean.
9. Pacifier Clip – These are the best invention EVER!!! I can’t tell you how many times we have dropped pacifiers in the grocery store, restaurants, or even at the house. These little handy devices allow the paci to stay attached to the child’s clothes, carseat, etc. I don’t have a particular brand that I love, but you can’t find them anywhere.
10. Summer Infant – Mother’s Touch Deluxe Baby Bather – I can’t brag about this awesome invention enough. The seat is made of mesh, so the water drains through it. The mesh also allows your baby to have a comfortable seat while bathing. We have used this particular seat with both children. The only issue we have had with the item is the smell it gets after it dries out. It has a mild odor due to the water absorption, but if you clean it extra well it will be fine.
I hope you find this list helpful. I understand that these items may not be the best for everyone, but they have definitely worked well for our little family.