It has been a little hectic around my household for the last month and a half. It is amazing how much you forget after your baby isn’t a baby anymore. I had my daughter 4 years ago and I almost feel like I was in a bubble that entire time because I have forgotten a lot. I even forgot how much I loved some of the products that I used with her. The other day, I was feeding my son and silently started thinking how amazing it was to have the Bobby pillow that I was using to help out. It actually allows me to rest my arms while I feed him, which is awesome. After that thought, the light bulb in my head turned on and I thought, “blog post!”
So, today’s post is all about the things that I find essential when having a newborn. I use all of things on a daily basis and they are definitely worth the money.
1. Born Free Bottles – These bottles are BPA-free and have an internal vent that helps prevent colic and gas. They are very durable and last a long time. We are actually using the same bottles that we used with my daughter. We just purchased new nipples and vents.
2. Philips Avent Soothie Pacifier – We have tried several pacifiers with my son and these are the only ones that he likes so far. He is not a huge fan of the pacifier, but when he wants one this one is his favorite.
3. Kalencom Laminated Buckle Diaper Bag (heavenly dots – chocolate/blue) – I used this brand and style with my daughter and chose to use it again with my son. I love how the outside of the bag is laminated. If you are in the rain or spill something on the exterior of the bag, it wipes right off. Also, it has many pockets for bottles and accessories. Plus, it comes with a nice size changing pad too!
4. Mustela Baby Hydra Bebe Body Lotion – Nongreasy amd lightweight lotion that is gentle on your baby’s skin. It is made with shea butter and smells wonderful too.
5. Boppy Pillow – This little number will be your best friend when it is feeding time. Place it around your waist while feeding your bundle of joy and your arms will say thank you. You can purchase the actual pillow, then slipcovers that you can change as often as you like. One of my favorite gifts by far!!!
6. Avent Bottle Sterilizer (similar) – The sterilizer in the picture is the actual one that I use, but I think it has been discontinued or the style as been updated. We use this sterilizer at least twice a day. After letting the bottles soak in soap and hot water, we place them in this device to sterilize them. This particular model holds 6 bottles and accessories at one time. I highly recommend this to anyone that bottle feeds.
7. OXO Bottle Brush – We use this brush to get into the bottles and nipples while cleaning them. I recommend this particular one because it is good quality, the bristles are soft, and it has a nipple brush too.
8. Gerber Birdseye Prefold Cloth Diapers – I am sure you are wondering if I actually use cloth diapers. Well, I actually don’t. These awesome diapers make excellent burp cloths. I have used them with both of my babies. Of course, you want to have the cute burp cloths when you go out somewhere or when you have company over, but these Gerber ones get the job done for all of the other times. They are VERY absorbent, fit on your shoulder nicely, and they wash well (which is the most important part).
9. Fisher-Price Soothe & Glow Seahorse – Talk about a lifesaver… This seahorse plays 8 lullabies that last a total of 5 minutes. While the lullabies play, the seahorse’s belly lights up. They remind me of the glow worms that I had when I was a baby. My daughter has a pink seahorse and my son has a blue one. Anytime my baby is crying, I turn his seahorse on to see if it will calm him down. It worked every time with my daughter and she still loves hers. I love this item so much that I have started giving them as baby shower presents to new mommies.
10. Boppy Bouncer – I use this anytime I need to do some things around the house and don’t want to lay Derrick in his bed or on a pallet. He likes to be sitting up, so he can see everything. The seat vibrates and it has several different music selections. It even has one that sounds like the womb.
What baby items do you find the most important? I am always looking for new things to try with my newborn.