I am going to be completely honest with y’all. I did not decorate a lot for Christmas this year. I didn’t even put ornaments on my tree. I feel bad about it, but I have a few good reasons behind my decision.
#1 – We are moving!
I really didn’t want to pull out all of the Christmas decorations while I am in the middle of packing boxes. Yes! You know I have already packed some boxes. I can’t help it. I have a cardboard box laying around and I MUST fill it with something. It sure beats my cat trying to lay in them!
#2 – I have a young cat!
Grizabella is only about 8 months old. I wasn’t sure if she would get excited about seeing a tree in the house and attempt to climb it. So, I decided not to get out my ornaments. Yes, I could have put my shatterproof ornaments on there, but that is where #3 comes into play…
#3 – I have an almost 2-year-old son!
Derrick thinks anything that is round is a ball. He will literally pick something up, scream, “Ball!” and throw it. He already broke some of my shatterproof ornaments that I use to fill vases. So, I didn’t want to risk getting any of those out either.
I am hoping next year my son and cat are old enough to enjoy the tree! Either way, everything goes on the tree next year. Our tree still looks pretty with our tulle and big bow on the top, though.
Side note: I plan to soak in every ounce of our mantel this year because our new house doesn’t have one (insert sad face). It is ok, though!
Enough with my babbling, let’s get to the point, Kristin.
Over the past few months, I really considered covering up my big American flag to make it look like a present. But, I decided that I liked it just the way it is. It adds a nice amount of color and contrast to my Christmas mantel.
To attach our stockings to the mantel, I used Command hooks. They work great and will pull off easy without harming the mantel.
I make my own bows for the top of my Christmas tree. I purchase the materials at Hobby Lobby and refresh the technique every year thanks to a How-To video on YouTube.
Christmas mantel & tree Source List:
- Distressed American Flag – see post
- White porcelain pitcher – Threshold @ Target
- Short Linework Vase – West Elm
- Happy Everything Mini Plates & Attachments – Coton Colors
- White Ceramic Christmas Tree – Dark Horse Store on Etsy
- Pebble Sauce Pitcher – Coton Colors
- White Hive Vase – West Elm (discontinued)
- Derrick & Kate’s stockings – Pottery Barn Kids
- Nathan & Kristin’s stockings – JCPenney (discontinued)
- Santa’s tree house with Santa and trees – Jessica Jane Handmade on Etsy
- Large White Wash Lantern – Pier One
- “Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas” wooden sign – Barn Owl Primitives
- Red Pickup Truck & Trees – Hobby Lobby
- “This Christmas” Canvas Print – Glory Haus