I finished painting my entryway table, so I am now moving to the “H” canvas she has hanging in the middle bottom portion of the wall.
To start the process, I purchased a wooden “M” from Hobby Lobby. It was originally $2.99, but I had a 40% off coupon, so I only paid $1.79.
A front view.
And, a back view.
I took the letter out to my spray painting spot (the one that will soon be covered by a deck) and sprayed approximately 3 coats of the Valspar Everglade Glen spray paint that I purchased from Lowe’s on the “M.” I am using the same color spray paint on several different things because they are going in the same area.
While the letter was drying (I allowed at least 24 hours), I began the canvas portion of the project. For this part, I applied fabric to a blank canvas that I purchased at Hobby Lobby.
I laid out the fabric (decorative side towards the table), placed my canvas on the top edge, and cut just enough fabric to cover each edge. I wanted to make sure I could use the extra fabric for other projects later on.
This is Robert Kaufman’s black and white chevron fabric that
I got through Stitch Stash Diva on Etsy.
Next, I used a pencil to mark the canvas’s spot on the fabric because I had to apply some adhesive to the other side. I first attempted to use hot glue on the canvas. Did it work? Negative! For some reason, the hot glue was not sticking to the fabric and the canvas. So, I had to get out my all-time favorite adhesive… Mod Podge! And, BINGO, it did the job perfectly!
The canvas with a layer of Mod Podge.
Then, I made sure to turn over the canvas and place it in the exact spot I had marked with a pencil. After I made sure it was in the perfect spot, I turned it back over and applied pressure all over the top to ensure the adhesive was going to stick permanently.
Since the hot glue didn’t work so good the first time around, I decided to use a staple gun to attach the fabric to the back of the canvas.
I stapled down two opposite sides of fabric first.
I folded the other two sides like presents. Then, stapled them to the top
of the canvas.
The fabric tucked and ready to be stapled.
The nice corner that was created by using the present wrapping approach.
And, here is the canvas with the fabric attached…
Next, I had to attach the green wooden “M” to the top of the canvas. I decided to take a chance and attempt to use my bigger glue gun for this portion of the project even though it didn’t work so well for the fabric and canvas. I applied the glue quickly and it actually worked well. YAY!!!
I am very happy with the way my gallery wall canvas turned out. Now, I need to…
- pick out the pictures that I will use for the gallery wall
- purchase the frames & paint them, if needed
- find one other inspirational piece of art for the space
- come up with the perfect layout
- purchase a small white vase for the entryway table
- pick out and purchase a rug for the space