What is a mission statement?
A blog mission statement reminds you why you are blogging in the first place. It helps you, your team, and even your audience understand what you are doing. Before you start writing the actual statement, though, you need to lay a foundation first. The first two steps of that foundation are very important.
To help me with this process, I am using the aticle, “How to Write a Mission Statement for Your Blog” by Julie Neidlinger of CoSchedule Blog.
In the blog post, Julie suggests the following steps:
Step 1: Ask Questions.
- Why do I blog?
- What questions do I ask?
- What questions do I answer?
- What kinds of things will/do I write about? Why?
- Will I be personal about my writing?
Among several of questions.
I sat down and answered each one of these questions, thoroughly.
Step 2: Extract your Mission.
Based on your answers, certain questions and their responses will determine…
- Your motivation for blogging.
- Who your blog is for.
- What you want to become (more on this to come).
- How you’ll do it.
And, here is what I determined…
- Why: I write because I express myself better through text. I have a passion for organizing and decorating and like to share my experiences with others. All of this plus a personal touch of me and my life.
- Who: My blog is for like-interested people who want to manage their clutter, get more organized in many different aspects of life, and decorate their home, workspace, or other personal space with confidence and appreciation. My blog is personal & positive!
- What: I want to share my organizing, decorating, and creating journeys with a personal touch of me.
- How: Continous explosure to new ideas through reading and experiences, so I can share them by interpreting them.
Step 3: Keep it Short.
She suggests one to three sentences.
So, without further ado, the mission statement for my blog is as follows:
My mission statement is short and sweet, but describes all aspects of this space of mine.
If you missed my introduction post, check it out here.