These days, packing for me takes a little longer because I have two others to pack for in the process. Usually, when I pack, I will pack all three of us at the same time.
Pajamas for me… Pajamas for Derrick… Pajamas for Kate
Socks for me… Socks for Derrick… Socks for Kate
It is a time consuming process, but something I like to do. My husband does help, but I like to know what goes in each bag (part of my OCD issues, I guess). This means that packing is never a last minute task. I may wait and pack some last minute things right before (makeup, toothbrushes, etc.), but a majority of the thought and work gets done beforehand.
Here is a look at my packed items for our St. Louis trip (minus a few hanging tops).
On the trip, I FINALLY purchased a case for my flat iron at The Container Store.
Side note: This momma got to go to The Container Store (We do not have one near my home). I was like a kid in a candy shop! It was something I had been looking forward to doing ever since I made the reservations.
In the past, my flat iron has been the last thing I have packed because it is always hot from me using it. Now, I have a Baggallini flat & curling iron cover that matches my cosmetic bag.
I have never been an extremely obsessive packer (shocking, huh?). When I say obsessive, I mean that I am not real particular about the order my clothes enter my bag or that everything looks beautiful at the end. But, there are a few tips or tricks that I have learned over the years.
- I place my makeup in individual ziplock bags in case they spill. I sure don’t want foundation all over my cosmetic bag. That mess is hard to get out of fabric!
- I always wipe off my deodorant or place it in a ziplock bag for the same reason as the makeup.
- I try to carry an extra trash bag or two for dirty clothes. I don’t like my dirty clothes and clean clothes to touch or else I will have to wash them all.
- I tape down the lids of any bottles or containers that have snap down lids (shampoo, for example) to help prevent leakage.
- I fold all of my jeans & pants for easier travel. Hotels usually have irons in the rooms.
- My toothbrush is placed in a ziplock bag or traveling case.
- I usually do not travel with body soap because the hotels have soap in the rooms. It may not be the best soap, but it will work for the short period of time I will be gone.
And, a printable to help with your future travels!
Please ignore pages 2-4 of the pdf. I couldn’t get it to only create one page.
(download pdf here)
Please feel free to share any tips or tricks that you use when traveling. I am always anxious to learn new helpful things for myself and family. It is an area that I am still tweaking! Is it actually possible to be excellent at organizing for travels?!?!